Saturday, November 20, 2010

Sheet Music "Topiary"

I find topiaries irresistable.  And decoupage. Anyway...

In addition to making our Christmas ornaments and just being crafty in general, I'm working on making many of my Christmas gifts for this year.  Since my mother is a pianist, and I love topiaries, I decided to try to merge the two into a gift for her.



A sheet music topiary!

Not only was it fun to make, it was inexpensive. Here's how the cost broke down:  $1.50 at Goodwill for the candlestick, $1.99 for a styrofoam ball, $3.99 for craft moss, and $3 at an antique store for vintage sheet music (I already had wooden dowels, and Mod Podge).



I cut the sheet music into thin strips.



Inserted a wooden dowel (I broke the end off to shorten it a bit) into the ball, and decoupaged the strips of music onto it.


I cut down a piece of foam and glued it into the candlestick to support the dowel and ball.





And I glued a little moss to the base of the dowel to hide the foam and glue.

Not hard to do at all, and it turned out very pretty and unique. 

I think she'll love it.



(P.S., I'm linking this to  Second Time Around Tuesday.  I'm also linking to Transformation Thursdays, Saturday Spotlight, Saturday Soiree, Style Feature Saturday, Saturday Nite Special, Just Something I Whipped Up, Motivate Me Monday, and Make it For Monday.  See their buttons at their permanent home on my sidebar!)

7 comments:

  1. I love your topiary! Using the candle holder as the base is such a terrific idea! And I love decoupaging with vintage sheet music(I am addicted to Mod Podge, I think!), so this is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very cute. And more so since your Mom is a pianist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy
    Oh my gosh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I spent the day cleaning and sorting and than putting all my sheet music remnants back into the music cabinet when Son ask if I might part with some of them ,Heavens To Betsy Noooooooo !
    Than I saw your post and had to rethink my reply :)
    I had a change of heart thanks to you but the computer shut down and I didn't get a chance to say thank you earlier so here I am a little late but ever so glad you shared your project which led me to think beyond my Musice cabinet.
    All is well now thanks to you :)
    Have a very happy Thanksgiving
    Big Texas Hugs
    Until next time
    Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kelly! I love your topiary so much! I just love how beautiful and simple it is. (Some of these crafty topiary things can be kind of over the top.) Thanks for the great tutorial with fab photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out wonderful and very thrifty! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how your topiary turned out. Great idea.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. sheet music is one thing that I have been very interested in I recently saw candles that were created but no tutorial thanks for sharing yours I plan to adapt it to make the candles.

    I am a new follower because I am interested in seeing all you have to share

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails