Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I Got Married Because....

There are many reasons that starry-eyed little girls grow up to be starry-eyed big girls who enter into the covenant of marriage.  For better or for worse.  For richer or for poorer.  For settling down or for moving twice within three months.  Which ever, right?

Marriage, I've found in these few short months, is a blessed institution, but in many ways, it is not exactly what I expected. To illustrate my confusion, I bring you, "I got married because."

I got married because....

1.  I wanted to cook Paula Deen-style meals in my Southern Living-style home.

Duh, these things don't happen right away. Who knew, right?  It's a tiny rental, decorated with my husband's books and the cat knick-knacks I got on the honeymoon.  And I can't even find the Corningware.  Call the pizza guy.

2. I wanted a companion.

Too bad, Kelly!  I just figured this up.  Since we got married, between jobs and vacations and moving and traveling, we have spent a maximum of three consecutive weeks together.  So as of right now, we're more like good friends who get together whenever possible. Which isn't often.

3.  I wanted to create a home.

Too bad we don't have one.  Well, that's not entirely true.  We have one, but after living there together exactly five days, Britt received a promotion, and we're moving to two states away.  Time to look for a new new house.  And pack everything. back. up.   Marriages don't need stability, anyway.  Do they?

4. I wanted to marry my husband.  And since the marriage took, I really can't complain.  But I will.   Hey, you wanna hang up the wet bath mat once in a while?

Why did you get married?  What about marriage was so not like you thought it would be?


4 comments:

  1. I got married at the court house on kind of a whim. Well, actually, we'd been engaged for 2 years at that point, but we both kept chickening out of going through with it. But one day we felt "ready" enough to seal the deal... showed up at the court house with a couple of witnesses, and got 'er done. Not conventional and definitely not what I had imagined it to be, but 5 years and 2 babies later, and we're still going strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I'm all about your profile pic. So excited to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness kelly i am LOVING your 1st post!!!! YAY for blogging! I am a commenting fool so now that you are a blogger you need to comment too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, I have to say this post is so call it like you see it and I love it!! Speaking from one that is approaching the 25 year anniversary, fantasies go out the window for the realities but you know what? The realities are really so much better than the fantasies. Eventually, you really do learn to overlook lots of things like....

    Why do you brush your teeth SO LOUD?
    Do you ALWAYS have to "fill in the blank"
    Why don't you EVER "fill in the blank"

    and oh, I could go on and on but in the end, love really does keep you together cuz the small stuff isn't really important.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails